Monday, July 19, 2010

First Steps


You may have noticed in all the pictures of Corrie to this point ,she has been sitting, or carried, or holding on to furniture. That is because she had not yet started walking independently when we met her in Ethiopia.


Our first update on her back in December ,after the director of our agency visited with her, said she was a very happy and content baby ,but she did want us to be aware that she was delayed in her ability to walk. Other children in the orphanage her same age were walking just fine and yet she was not even crawling or pulling to stand at that point. We assured her that we understood the situation, but that YES we were certain that SHE was our daughter ,as God had confirmed that over and over in so many ways. We, in every way , wished to move forward with completing whatever was necessary to call this little orphan girl....OUR daughter. The director assured us then that they would be moving her to their home in Adama where Tezera would work with her, giving her massage and attention as well as pray for her along with the widows in their weekly prayer meetings. I must admit that first week , I wondered what our life would look like if she was not able to walk for some reason. Even as a physical therapist, I knew that the inability to walk would make life complicated. But any concerns I had quickly faded with the total peace I had that I knew that I knew that I knew God had planned for this little girl to be in OUR family. We also began praying, along with our other three at home each night , that God would strengthen her legs as well as prepare her heart in the days that we waited to bring her home.



We received updates as we waited that told us she was happy and social, as well as beginning to crawl with one leg , pull to stand and walk with assistance. When we met her in June, she had progressed to crawling normally, and she could cruise along the furniture, and take somewhat unsteady steps with assistance. Of course , with her in our arms, we had never been more SURE that she was OURS.... FOREVER....no matter if she EVER took a step on her own.



On June 12th, 2010, any concern over her inability to walk was gone, as Corrie Sifan Rose took her first independent steps!!! Praise God for the answered prayers of many!!! She took 3-4 steps to me in the kitchen that afternoon, with Battle watching near by . Later that evening she walked down the hall and she has not looked back!! She is walking anywhere she wants to go!!!



And believe me, she is going LOTS of places!! She is into EVERYTHING!!!

Don't you love the concentration with the tongue sticking out!!! It must help with balance!! Before I know it, I will be running to keep up with her!!

I am oh so grateful that she is walking on her own, AND that God allowed me to see those first steps!! So very precious!! One of these pictures will go in our memorial box to REMEMBER God's goodness!!

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. what a beautiful story. I am thankful for finding your blog-I am a PTA (currently a stay-at-home mom) & feel led to adopt (a girl in Ethiopia). Your children are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Corrie!!! How wonderful!!!
    Is it me or does she just get cuter and cuter?!?!?
    So happy for you guys - God is faithful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Answered prayer on many levels. You also had others praying for her and maybe didn't realize it :) I can't wait to tell Monica she is on the move!!! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee, Ms Corrie! Now you can proceed to get into lots of adventures. I can't wait to see you walking. You will be running before we know it. Such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tooo stinkin' cute!! LOVE the tongue out! Biruk does the tongue thing when he is REALLY concentrating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so well remember that morning sitting in the play area of a local McDonalds as you shared what you had learned about sweet Corrie the night before. And you showed pictures and concern for your sweet girl with a continued belief that no matter what, she was your daughter. Oh praise Him for His blessings. Both that she is walking and that because of the delay you were able to witness her first steps.
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is joyful news... I never doubted that she would walk.... I just knew it... and I'm grateful you guys got to see it. I have some more pics of her that I don't think I ever sent... I have so many of different children and I get confused.. sorry... anyway, I've lost your email... mine is kellykenli@gmail.com .... send me yours again and I'll send the pics.. thanks. Kiss Corrie for us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful!! God is so faithful! Rejoicing with you...And she is absolutely beautiful - as are all your children!! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is great news! It was so great to meet Corrie last week and to see her walking! All of your kids are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stopping over from MBM. Wonderful news! What a beautiful family you have....Thanks for sharing this story with us...God is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those adorable pictures of sweet Corrie! I am so thankful that God orchestrated our meeting and that we could be there to see Corrie walking!! I would love to get together again soon for another playdate. Talk to you soon!
    Ashley =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray for Corrie! How fun that you got to see her first steps! I love how God answers our prayers in such specific and wonderful ways!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture of her little tongue sticking out...she really IS concentrating! When we adopted Emma she was 23 months old and couldn't walk very well at all...I think her mom must have carried her on her back all day because she never desired to walk and kept pointing to my back:) But God is good and faithful. Now your hands will REALLY be full:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY Corrie! How beautiful to see her home with her family and being loved! She was so so sweet when we met her in ET, she was a favorite of us all. Praising God for her continued growth and joy!!!

    ReplyDelete