Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Welcome Home!




What a homecoming we received once arriving at our local airport. Our family and friends were waiting with signs and banners. The tears fell as I hugged and kissed Graham, Noah and Lottie. I gave long awaited hugs to family and friends who had gathered to welcome us home. How sweet it was! After loading our luggage into my parents car, we , as a family of 6 got in our van and drove HOME! My mom had filled the refrigerator with food for the weekend and the dining room table was decorated with daisies and a welcome home Corrie cake. My dad had made a welcome home Corrie sign for the front of the house. Oh how good it was to be home!



We gave the children some of their souvenirs from the trip and they didn't waste any time in trying on their traditional Ethiopian clothing. I must say Lottie looked like a little Ethiopian princess and the boys were quite handsome in their new duds!



Corrie enjoyed meeting her new family and friends. We had to charge the camera battery once home. I was shocked when I went to take a picture and realized the battery had finally run out. I had prayed the whole trip for the battery to LAST as we had somehow in our hurriedness to get out the door two weeks ago, left the charger behind . It is a miracle and just one more sign of God's ordaining each of our steps that the battery lasted until we got home ! Once it was charged , we began taking pictures of Corrie meeting her new circle of family and friends.


Lottie had so looked forward to being a big sister and couldn't wait for her baby sister to come home. And she IS enjoying it , but it has not been without some emotional moments. I think she thought her baby sister was going to be more like a baby doll who would do anything she wanted to do, when she wanted her to do it. She is quickly realizing her baby sister has a mind of her own with her own likes and dislikes. So they are finding their way in this new sisterhood. Friday night they enjoyed their first bath together. They were both all smiles!


After traveling for close to 24 hours and being up for over 48 hours, we were ready to call it a night! I put Corrie in some pajamas Lottie picked out for her after the bath ,gave her a bottle of formula and laid her down in her new bed. She has a twin bed in the same room as her sister. It has nice tall bed rails to give her a crib like feeling. She whimpered 2 or 3 times during the night and I went in to check on her. I rubbed her back and each time she went right back to sleep. I never even had to pick her up. She slept from 9:30 to 7:30 the next morning and has done the same each night since. The other nights she has not even whimpered! I am a thankful mama!

Saturday morning, the boys awoke first , and went to check on the girls. The next thing I knew they were all up on Corrie's bed together! They were so cute together! My heart was so full as I focused on them through the lense of my camera. What a privilege it is to parent these 4 treasures from the King!


We spent a quiet saturday here at the house visiting with family and friends who were in town.









The boys were in a basketball tournament for the weekend, so Corrie's first outing was to a basketball game on Sunday. She enjoyed sitting in the bleachers with her sister and cheering her brothers on! Sunday night we went to my parents for a sunday meal which is our family tradition.








Monday brought swim team practice for the other 3 , so we decided to introduce Corrie to the pool! She LOVED it! So much so that she cried when I had to take her out of the water to leave!






No doubt she soon will be a little fish like the others!

We have been blessed by meals brought to us by our small group friends. It is so nice not to have to think about meal planning for a family of 6 in a jet lagged state. Corrie continues to eat well. She LOVES bananas! She also has eaten ham and cheese, oatmeal with fruit, chicken noodle casserole. She enjoys the bottles of formula as well. When she is excited about a bottle or food you are bringing her, she circles her ankles over and over....we call her Happy Feet! It is so very cute!

We are enjoying finding our new normal as a family of 6. We are finding it takes an exponentially longer time to get out the door . We will have to work on that!! We look forward to all that the days ahead will bring.


We pray that Corrie Sifan Rose will always know the unconditional love of her Savior and that of her Forever Family!



Welcome Home Little One!

Photobucket























































































































































































13 comments:

  1. so good to see such a precious homecoming!

    so glad you made it home safe and sound. :)

    praying for continued blessings as you all adjust to Corrie and as she adjusts to her new life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mind if I link your blog on my site? You have absolutely the best travel journal I've ever seen! Thank you for such a wonderful gift...for families who haven't yet travelled, it is a Blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family! It is amazing how God works to unite our hearts and homes! We are so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shannon,
    I met you at Jody's party for OAKS a few weeks before you left for Africa and then Jody forwarded your blog to me. I have had such fun following it. Corrie is delicious!!! What a blessing!! Looking forward to meeting her , maybe, this summer at an Oaks gathering. Welcome home and congratulations!!!
    Lisa Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a joy it is to see "baby Corrie" (hope she doesn't mind that title as she's gonna hear it from my three for some time to come...) finally at home with her siblings and extended family!
    We are so glad to have you guys back and look forward to getting to know your sweet little one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I wish we could have been there! But we're coming soon! I cannot wait to see all of you and meet Miss Corrie! She looks like such a fun girl! I love that photo of her standing at the piano with Lottie!! The LOOK in her eyes! And I teared up a little when I saw you hugging all your kids and the photo of one of the boys holding Corrie and kissing her!

    I'm so stinkin' happy for you and Battle and Corrie and the KINGDOM! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words really can't explain the condition of my heart. I am beyond thrilled to see these pictures.... my spirit is singing. Our God is so good and I am so happy for you guys. I remember the feet also... we used to get so tickled at her... thanks for sharing these moments with the rest of us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home! Corrie is an absolute doll as are your other children! Michael and Josi are in Noah and Graham's SS class so Michael has been telling me about you guys for awhile. Can't wait to meet all of you and get to know you better!

    We are going to bring our new addition to church on Sunday for the first time. Hope to see you all there as well! :)

    Kristin Ferguson
    kpfarf@nc.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh she is so precious and it seems she is adjusting pretty well to her new family....what a praise!!!! So thankful that people are bringing you meals and showing you His love for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little girl is so precious! I am so inspired hearing of your experiences. Thank you for being willing to share them so people who feel their heartstrings being tugged to reach out to these little ones (like me:) have a window into the journey!
    Blessings!!
    Olivia
    cozycomfycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear shannon ...

    Nelly and I were both so excited to see the pictures of Corrie - Fei Fei's new little sister ...a wonderful addition to your family, we hope for all happiness

    Nelly likes to see the pictures of her little friend from her first year in China...

    louise

    ReplyDelete